Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 322



This was the Day of the Duck. I just spent five hours in a car in order to pick up an injured duck at Tufts Animal Hospital in Westborough, MA. Oh it is true that Swimmer is no ordinary duck. When the attendants brought her out to the waiting room where all of the people with their dogs and cats were sitting around, Swimmer quacked when she saw Emma and put her head into Emma's chest. Everyone went, "AHHHHH!!!!" It really was cute and I did not have my camera on me, I'd left it in the car. Oh well......

Swimmer was nervous when we began home, but we placed her on a soft bedding in the way back of the car and Emma sang to her. She fell asleep. She woke up one other time and squacked, but Emma stroked her and sang more and she went back to sleep. You asked, "what does one sing to comfort a duck?" The answer is "Three Little Ducklings" and "Tender Duckings," two famous lullabyes that I am sure you all know. Halfway home we began to write/compose the operetta about the duck named Swimmer.

Now she is in a nestlike environment with Nanna nursing her with raw honey and something else to keep the infection away. She is on antibiotics and for a week she will hang upstairs in her human made nest. They believe a coyote got them and that it is amazing she got away. They have to keep all of the other chickens penned up for the winter; the coyote knows they are there now.

I'm exhausted, but grateful. I also did not get to take very many shots today, but here are a couple to end the day. The moral of the day is that love comes in many forms. And the TUfts Animal Hospital is wonderful.





1 comment:

  1. That is the cutest thing ever. I can't believe you didn't have your camera.

    ReplyDelete