Sunday, January 10, 2010




What a nice day?
Edges.... the day was full of edges. When Emma was about 1 I started doing a lot of the day care for her. I was out of work and her parents needed help and Emma and I already had a special relationship. She was already my pal. One of the first routines we developed was taking this special ride to put her to sleep. We would drive down Leyden Rd and pass all of the animals on the way, go through the covered bridge and back down Colrain Rd. If she was still awake I'd go further, but usually if I sang her a few songs she'd be drifting by the bridge and asleep past the college and we could go home and she would sleep on the sofa for a while.

I went to work about the same time she went into Preschool. We still spent sometime together during the week, but fewer nap times. About the same time the state closed down the bridge, too. It still has not been repaired and now after 5 years looks like this, an edge.



Learning to live ones life in a balanced way is always hard. For me it is difficult to balance between work, caring for myself and having a life with my friends. One variable which is helpful is that the Coop provides a real community space for many of us. Sunday afternoons are good coop times.









Today, after I met some friends at the coop and ran into other friends, I went for that ride again. I drove down to the bridge and had to turn around and come back past the Green River. There I saw about 50 crows in the trees over the corn fields. The ice is forming in the river making true edges. The crows sit in tops of trees where the winter light filters through. I sing "I Gave My Love A Cherry" the way I did to the baby girl or to my close close friend as she died in her bed in her living room. Today I had both memories, so often that is true, I see something and I remember a sweet smile of a 2 year old drifting off to sleep and the release of a soul from a diseased woman's body. Both strong clear memories stimulated by the same show of light on the edges of the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment