Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 24



Oh, Sunday.... a day of rest... a day of kindness, a day of peace. It's been that. My niece, Sarah, and great-niece, Hannah came to visit me today and I took them out for Chinese (3rd time this week). We had fun. It's so nice to like family. We get along. We also care about a lot of the same things. Today I passed along a family heirloom to Sarah. It was a ring designed by my great-grandfather for my great-grandmother (whom I'm supposed to be just like). She passed it on to my grandmother, who passed it to my mother, who passed it to me. I love it, but I will never be able to wear it again, my knuckles have gotten too large. It fits her perfectly. It looks gorgeous on her hand, and it keeps the story going, the thread connected. I love that.....



We then took a drive together, Hannah rocked out to her ipod, Sarah and I looked for cool pictures. It was fun to have someone else drive while I shot, and have two pairs of eyes. I didn't get that many shots. It was so grey, but we had a good time.

Then I went and dried my clothes.

I've been trying to do some other things with shooting lately. I took pictures of the dirty laundry on the floor of the kitchen, the wet laundry in the basket and the piles of folded laundry at the end. Interesting? I don't think it worked. I also took pictures of forsythia all tangled together and a wooden sculpture of a woman that Patrick made. That's a little bit better. Maybe I'll post that. I've been trying to shoot the same thing at different times of day, like the swing or the mailboxes. Some of it works, but it's not quite there yet. I want to do the preschedule "today it is" weather calendar. Maybe I'll post a clear weather picture everyday. I want to see continuation. That's what its about. It just all keeps going, it all keeps winding in on itself. It is lovely.



I remember an assignment that Tony Barrand gave us in Perception and the Arts (1975). It was the first time I had to do a learning journal. I loved it, I had to write down everything I perceived as interesting during the day. I remember one posting was a description of a 2 year old's hands in mine. Mine were large, at that time they weren't that fat, but they have always been large, and Robban's little hand was going to be precise some day. Anyway, I kind of think this blog is a little like that learning journal, and I would like to show more hands. My Mother's are almost transluscent, Emma's are long and strong, Geoffrey's have been used a lot, and Hannah's seem to be the favorite toy of a kitten. All hands, a tool in the life of edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment