Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 21


This picture is this morning when I stepped out to get some real air during a 5 hour meeting. It is of Thomas, Luke and Thomas's working dog, whose name is escaping me at the moment. They had just given a workshop at a local elementary school. I caught them before they took off in the car.

A work week is over. That went really fast, because it was only three days this week.
Would you rather eat Thai, Chinese or Korean?
Education is most successful when it combines community and individual attention. Learning environments are most effective when they are interactive.



I Believe In Color
Lindy

I believe in red
the changing forever-ness
of red. A pure rich red:
cotton tee shirt red,
berries on the bushes in the
dead of New England winters,
cherries in June next to a
slab of ripe brie.
Magenta, a little redder than wine,
blood as it begins to dry,
the curtains I always wanted,
floor length heavy velvet.
Orange red on the skins
of a tangelo; blood oranges
in a light blue porcelain bowl on
a small table near stark white walls.
Dusty rose of an old flannel duvet,
the height of fashion in 1980.
I believe in red.

I believe in blue.
The ocean, a million different
shades in a day, dependent
on wind,
on clouds,
the sun’s angle,
how tired my eyes are.
The blue of a winter sky
the blue of a clear summer’s night.
Midnight blue,
dark, dark,
dark, not quite black.
Stars poking holes into it.
The blues of the Aegean;
all that clean white alongside
blue with no other color
added. No leanings
towards green or gray.
I believe in red, blue.


I believe in yellow.
The most marvelous of all yellows;
the sun high in the sky in July.
Washed out, but so bright.
Hot.
The yellows in late August.
The full heads on flowers.
Yellow ends the summer,
begins the fall.
Yellow has a hard time
staying pure, not letting
blue or red seep
dribble into it.
The yellow of lemon or a Baltimore oriole
Yellow of a Ford Pinto
that down shifts when
you turn on the air conditioner
I believe in red, blue and yellow..


These photos are all store windows on Main St., Brattleboro, Vt. I shot them in the dark because the color was so impressive, uplifting on a January winter's night.

2 comments:

  1. Happy weekend, Lindy. Lovely color poem. I too believe in color. It is one of the primary joys of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors in the poem and pictures. Especially the line about the rose colored duvet. I love that blanket, and I think I remember when you got it. Anyhow, that was a particularly happy thought for me :)

    ReplyDelete