Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 29: Fourth Friday


In celebration of Brigit and poetry.

The Pine and The Girl

Your tall straight standing trunk
and long thin piney branches are
weighted down by cones 8 inches long.
Who heightened the swing
It must have been Patrick
Come back to make the seat high enough
For your new long legs.

It is too easy for you to fly
Into the needles in front
Too high for either of us to touch
But when you swing
Forward your legs stretching out front
You slash through those needles
Like the soaring hawk
or the jays scooting in and out.

You are a bird upon
a cherry seat
Your swing
Made higher
Each year you grow.

You are a bird
Your talons hanging
Straight down
Ready to embrace
Your prey.

You are the swing
Too high to be removed
A long arc that
Sails across the lawn

You are the swing
You are the bird
You are the pine;
food for several inhabitants
creatures below.
Strong and eternal



I have learned to love my Fridays. Today I left early to do a circle of 63 miles of farmland and rivers, which Greenfield is surrounded by. I saw cows and horses, no large birds, but plenty of ice floats. It was bright and beautiful and freakin' cold.




This process continues to change how I am looking at the world. I still am documenting those I love and getting the dog looking at the kid with those big eyes, but I'm also seeing small little things and shadows that I never took in before. I'm also truly learning about the camera. I'm trying to think about a show and how to put one together. It is the same mystery to me that putting poems in a manuscript. Should one have a theme in a show?



Franklin County is beautiful, even when the temperature is not much over 0. I'm a lucky girl.



And at the end of the day, I have my giggling girls, all of those wonderful nieces, and the two goddaughters who keep me alive. (By the way, there are a few nephews who are pretty amusing, too.) Yup I'm lucky and I am grateful for my Fridays off giving me the space and time to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment