Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 37




February 6, 2010
Day 37
Guilford, CT; Earl Grey
Just got beat at Scrabble…. Felt pretty good to lose. It’s almost an honor to lose against my Mom. But I lost by 50 points and I’m not sure I broke 250, frighteningly bad score for me. Anyway, it was worth it.
I miss living by the ocean. It felt so good to just go down and see boats and smell the sea even on the border of this snowfall that missed Ct. completely, I believe. It felt as though it was going to smash into us at any moment, but it didn’t at all. It made the sky many shades of grey and different textures and levels of thickness, but no snow came.


But we went down to the little beach and the gulls were all tucked in waiting for something to hit, protecting themselves in the inlet, no waves to speak of, some wind and they hover onto the sand and water in rows. I’m not sure I ever saw them do it so precisely, digging into the sand, literally.
Gulls are the cheat bird to photograph, they sort of do whatever you want them to do. They aren’t really afraid of you and sometimes I think they are communicating in some birdlike manner. I had fun shooting them today, a lot easier than either the Phoebe or the so called February Robin.


And there was still a pine cone or two around to catch my eye. Pine combs on sand… hmmm… different kind of pine tree though.

Mom’s house is surrounded by little cedar. They can look so scrappy, but I think they’re great. All of the colors today were variations on grey and beige. Cedars are red beige. Not a whole lot of contrast in the world of the Sound today, not at all. Everything seems in waiting, even the metal heron’s on the deck, in waiting. Thank God for the cats, for the regal presence of Earl and Dori.

No comments:

Post a Comment