Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 304: Happy Halloween



I just slept through trick or treating.





November Is The Cruelest Month

Nothing is predictable in November,
you cannot trust your footing.
There is this beautiful world
and then the rains come
the wind blows colored leaves around
leaving trees baron throughout
the fields and forests.
The ground is covered
first by dead leaf blankets,
as you walk
you cannot see
there is a hole,
a snake
just a rock to trip on.

It is not predictable when
the cold begins. I should have
shut my bedroom window by now,
but what if
I have to escape in the night?
What if they come?
You know,
the polar bears
the hurricanes?
What if I have to get out on my own?

And the driving may get tricky
already there isn’t enough light.
No, there isn’t enough light
for the next four months;
we’ll feel that way.
Is it real?

And people, will they turn on me?
Will they stop loving me because
it is cold
dark
windy?
And the potential of ice
And the armour
And the exhaustion
And the
Unpredictable way in which
people pretend to be jolly, but they are not.
And the desire for a rich dark red velvet.

I will wear a robe
dark red velvet, thick,
wrapped around me
my tall pointed dark red
hat with crescent moons painted
on the cone. My wand is
black and silver with an
opal crescent moon upon the top.

I have a new spell
I’ll use it to make winter
a meditative moment of silence.
instead of trying to celebrate
the death, we can celebrate rebirth,
before Spring. As leaves fall
ice and snow arrive,
we can understand
regeneration.

I need that wand
and a hawk, his talons wrapped
around my leather glove,
holding on to my arm;
brown leather over red velvet
to remind me I am solid
in my aloneness; that my spells
have messages of kindness.
That I am aware of my gifts.


No comments:

Post a Comment