Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 284



In December of 1972 I gave my newborn daughter up for adoption. She was adopted immediately and was in her home by Christmas. That Christmas was the first one after Dad's death. I lost three people that year, my father, my daughter, and her father, who was my best friend throughout the 7 years of adolescence.




In September of 1974 I went off to Marlboro College where I met the Tolenos. Tom Toleno was to be my mentor, his then wife Mary, my good friend, and his sons Tristan and Robban, then almost babies themselves, were to fill my heart up again. I spent the next three years of my life with two little boys holding my hand or the loop on my carpenter pants.




Yesterday their younger brother, Yves, was married. I have been a member of that family for longer than Yves has been alive. I've watched it grow and prosper. It is always such a comfort to me. It was the family I folded into when I most needed one other than my own. I love the Tolenos.




Today I woke up with that need to call Mommy and tell her the stories. I saw Dalton yesterday. She'd smile. He's so handsome and he's so kind and he listens with such intention. He claims Tom taught him how to look, Dalton may have taught me how to listen to voices, to words, pulling on my arm, "Lindy wait, listen."



Another week has gone by, I've attended a funeral and a wedding and I've held hands with a 90 year old and a 5 week old.

2 comments: