Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 294



I woke up to rain and raining leaves. At some point during the day there was sleet coming down. Walking back from East Building it was cold and wet. It reminded me of the other six months of the year. I shouted, "It's still too early, really, it's not even Halloween, yet."



Work was solid today, it was busy and productive. That's how I like it. Then I got Emma at school. She was working with a teacher there who I went to graduate school with 30 years ago. We were talking about children's books we wanted to read and then realized we had both started our careers off together in children's literature with Rudine Sims. Emma asked how long ago, she said, "how long is many years?" I said "long before Tucker was born." "Really, you went to school together before Tucker was born?" The measuring of time is relative.



Then we went to the big mall and entered the "other" world. Oh my God, it is such culture shock to walk around there. I feel so comfortable letting Emma be in front of me most of the time or walk to the toy store on her own these days, but not down there, all I could think about was kidnapping. Awful, I've never thought like that before and I have brought a lot of kids into different environments. Oh well, I guess I really am getting older, which means that I am getting both freer and more conservative about certain things. She actually held my hand a lot today indicating to me that she was having her own thoughts. I mean she didn't want to hold my hand in the S.F. Airport.



This is my idea of dignified protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment