Thursday, March 25, 2010

Day 84



Why is violence such an acceptable part of our culture? Violence produces violence, that is all there is to it.



One of my flickr friends put a challenge on flickr this morning. The challenge was to do a self portrait that said something about oneself. I decided the best place to take it was my bedroom because it is filled with things that are really important to me. Even the mirrors in that room are important to me. Everything is really dusty though. I have to dust that room. Anyway as I tried to do the self portrait I became very aware of the little things left me by people who have gone. I have had a lot of death in my life. Three of those people are represented in these objects. The alabaster box was given to me by my good good friend, Cynthia. It was something of her families. She gave it to me years ago, I think it has been sitting on my dresser for 25 years. The watch was given to me by my father. We bought it in Rouen across from where Joan of Arc was burnt. I was 9, Emma's age. It still works,it needs a new band, it is still pretty. And the third thing was my Grandmother Whiton's, a silver box. There were three things that sat on a shelf in her den that I played with when I was a kid. When she died my parents gave me them. That box was one of them.



Here is the self-portrait.


My room is not gloomy, it is just filled with things given to me. The little picture over my head was made by my older sister at least 25 years ago. I've always loved it.

It's supposed to snow tonight, it's going to snow on top of these.



No comments:

Post a Comment