Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 78



I think that my vacation has worked. I really have been able to focus on my art and that has been wonderful. Today I went back to the bulb show. It's really happy making. The colors are shocking to our system, but people can't help but smile.





I've also been working on some writing. I'm going to post a couple of them for the next couple of days. Hope you like them. Here is the first.

On the first day of my vacation I went and visited three rivers each in different stages of thaw. I was surprised by the large hunks of ice and wood that had collected on the sand along the Green River. It was though icebergs had been created and then as the weather warmed the bergs all floated onto the beach, off the river itself and along with the mass of fallen trees and debris, stacked up high.
On the Connecticut, at Unity Park, there were no signs of snow or ice. Fresh growth was popping and gulls floated backwards, calmly letting the water take them downstream until just before they’d fall off the dam. They’d rise and fly back to the cove only to float downstream again.
On the Deerfield there was ice and snow in the upper elevations. A lone Canada goose sat calling out just off shore. As I photographed him the noise of a flock lifted from across the other side past the river, past a field where 25 birds lifted in formation, flew towards me and then wrapped around, turning right in front of my camera, past their lone friend and back towards the other hills. The noise was continuous.
Watching water flow allowed my brain to settle, allowed my mind to slow down, first by becoming nothing, void of anything but the information given by the breeze passing by my skin and the site of the flow of water moving. Because it was warm enough I could watch and stand in the wind and not need a coat or to protect myself from any cold. I could just let it all wipe my fears and my grief away.



1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful Lindy, words and pictures. What is that first astounding flower?

    ReplyDelete