Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 126



In someways this has been an extraordinary day, I woke up this morning feeling happy and with only one slight "off shoot" of annoyance at work, I stayed happy all day. Thank you world. Thank you week. A lot got done, a lot got put behind me, and a lot is resolved, so again thank you.




I really did start out in early education. I love elementary schools. I love their energy when they are good ones. The Greenfield Center School is such a place. Tonight they had their gallery walk where kids got to display the art and other work they were proud of. It was fascinating.




The upper classes studied different artists. Their assignment was to do a piece of art in the style of the artist they studied. They had to produce a couple of other pieces and write a report on the artist. This one 6th grader did his on Barry McGee who is a graffiti artist out of Ca. This piece of art that the kid did is as tall as he is and 2 feet wide. It was courageous and bold. Really interesting.

Emma's class did books and they displayed assignments they were most proud of. Emma's was a math lesson that she got an excellent on. She wrote up a museum or gallery tag on it explaining why she choose her math assignment. Her class did image making in art. Her illustrations were wonderful, clearly influenced by Eric Carle.



I loved being there tonight. I loved being around lit up kids talking about their work with excitement, from kindergarten to 8th grade. I loved listening to Emma's teacher talk about the kids and their work. I have never lost my passion or fascination in how kids learn and how best to set up environments to facilitate the best learning. It turns me on.



And then I came home to the idea that all was well tonight. I hope I'm right. I hope all those I love sleep gently.

No comments:

Post a Comment