Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 205



In 1987 my Mom and I went to Myrtle Beach where I was presenting at a conference. I was sick, I didn't know just how sick, and what felt like the beginning of my career turned out to be the beginning of the end of any bigtime career. Because I was aware that it was an important step I asked Mom to come with me. I am one of 6 kids and getting to go on a trip alone with Mom was pretty rare, only the third time in my life at the age of 34. We had a blast. My Mom wowed my professional colleagues. My Mom wows people, period. I thought a lot about this trip yesterday, mainly because my Mom now lies in a Hospice bed never to go on another physical trip with any of us. I was lucky. We went to Japan together, too. It was really fun, crazy, but fun.




I am a lucky person. I have this extremely close and extremely talented friend. He came with my yesterday and today stayed with me for part of the day so that I could be sad safely. He also shared with me 2 of his new projects. They are cool.

The first is a sculpture that he is carving out of quartz crystal with a granite base. It will stick in the ground like a post. It is so beautiful

The second is a bird, a Gannet, that he found dying and tried to save, but the ACPAA didn't succeed and let him take the bird to create a sculpture of it. It was phenomenal to see a bird that close up. Stunning feathers and large web feet with sharp ends. He has cleaned the feathers and carefully preserved them. It is gorgeous.



Life!

1 comment:

  1. It was magical to have you both visit me in japan! I'm thankful we
    had those adventures when we could. And japan was way cooler
    than our other trip to Wyoming (though lots of the States and time
    in CA was wonderful. I can't see humingbirds without thinking of our
    time together :) - Jason

    ReplyDelete