Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 261


For some reason my photos from last night did not post. I don't know why. So I posted them now and will create another post when I get home this evening. Enjoy yesterday's photos though. I had a great day of shooting.



Nineteen years ago today I was called to the Brattleboro Memorial Hospital to join 2 close friends who were in the midst of having a baby. That baby was born on 9.19.91. She is remarkable, as are her parents. I clearly remember that day, I remember details, iddy biddy details, including calling Mom at 1:30 in the morning saying "They took Annie into surgery," and crying. Having been woken up out of a sound sleep, Mommy reminded me in her calm voice that Annie was strong, and that it was good that they were making the move, and that everything would be fine. I had been that steady person all day long, guarding my friends, looking out for them, but when I was alone I needed to turn to the master. She was right, too, everyone did really well and like most Cesarean born children, she's a genius. I love her so.



This evening I went to a friend's house for dinner. It felt good to make the extra effort and go see someone I care about whom I have not seen that often during all this process. After dinner we went to see an old friend play music with his band, "A Work In Progress." They were grounding, fun; it was a really good evening for me.




During the concert I thought about other times I listened to good folk music. When I first came to Marlboro in 1974 there were amazing folk singers hanging around Brattleboro. I use to go to concerts at the Chelsea House with Mary Toleno and the kids. It was new and inspiring for me; remember I was the kid of two professional classical musicians. And here, living near me were Tony Barrand and John Roberts, Margaret MacArthur and her family, Bill Staines would come and sing, and many others. Music defined Marlboro in many ways, and even though I went there to study psychology and early education, I couldn't deny music was part of what drew me there.


No comments:

Post a Comment